Friday, July 11, 2014

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013 Reviews



This review is for the non-GPS version of Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013. In the past, I be inflicted including been using Streets&Trips 2006 and 2009. I also be inflicted including two portable GPS devices as my guidance while I am on the road. The function of having the Streets&Trips Software is mainly for tumble training. In tumble training, I prefer to use MS Streets&Trips than the on-line based maps (Google map, bing map...etc) for following reasons:1. Speed: I be inflicted including high-speed internet connection (13Mbps down/6Mbps up), but the speed of MS Streets&Trips is subdue far faster than any internet-based map service. I be fond of the instantaneous response in zooming in/out, and quick panning movement.2. Control: I can keep my map including directions and locations as a file. Every planned tumble becomes a single map file that can be straightforwardly reviewed at shortly time. Just double click the file when I am ready to use it. This is especially useful when I am on a multi-day tumble. At nocturnal, I just open the map file to review tomorrow's tumble.3. Off-line: No need to worry about the weak and slow wireless connection from the hotel.4. Top-of-Interest: The MS Streets&Trips shows top-of-interest including apparent icons. That makes tumble training life much easier. I can straightforwardly see how loads of hotels/restaurants are almost my destinations.5. Multiple Destinations: MS Streets&Trips is especially skilled if you be inflicted including more than 3 stops on a tumble. You can organize your stops in the order you want and the curriculum will generate meticulous directions from one stop to next stop.6. Printing: Including the on-line map (any Google map, bing map, or yahoo map), you are not capable to control the print out boundary. Including MS Streets&Trips, I can zoom in/out the map to get exact print out.7. Add Note: I can straightforwardly add comments to the map for easy referencing function.I don't run into any installation issue when installing it to my Dialogue box 7 64-bit PC. However, I shape including other reviewers that MS Streets&Trips 2013 does not seem to be much different from MS Streets&Trips 2009. Unfortunately, MS Streets&Trips 2009 can not be run on 64-bit PC. So, I need the MS Streets&Trips to be run on 64-bit PC.In summary, GPS is very caring while you are on the road, but GPS is not skilled for tumble training. On-line map is convenient but can not be tailored to fit each person's need. The MS Streets&Trips is definitely a great software in tumble training. I highly recommend it.
- H. Wang "jwangamazon"

As seems to be the try out including new editions of Streets and Trips, here is not anything revolutionary in this vicinity this upgrade, even if it was extremely near two being in the building. Even as I discover it a helpful curriculum, it is soothe practically restrictive in traditions I fancy would be addressed.I use Streets and Trips extremely near day after day. In addendum to maintaining numerous thousand points, I hear addresses numerous era a day early broadcast whereby I discover their house and yield them in rank to the bordering top in my catalog. And, be fond of most broadcast, I use Streets and Trips to schooling my path trips. What has mandatory me to upgrade early 2007 is the new map facts so I can contest newer addresses.At this calculate is a outline of uncommon facial appearance, the skilled and the bad.Searches: The pocket up quest soothe desires enhancement. As an pocket up does not contest no matter what business in their catalog, the not compulsory alternatives are evenly far off. For develop, I typed in an pocket up and city containing "Penn Rod Rd." The quest returned a Penn lumber Dr and a Penn Roberts Ln in two seats in a roundabout way the disorder early the city I built-in including the path. Manually scanning the roads almost the city I entered in, I establish it: "Pennrod Rd." The quest is powerless to soubriquet loads of of these petty errors.Facts import: The curriculum allows you to import locations early Outrival, Lobby, or a additional catalog. I contest by GPS coordinates in check over of the fact including the intention of the constant errors and bad uncommon suggestions recommend itself up at this calculate as I contest by addresses, and here is no way to go into the map to discover the aptly report lacking cancelling the matching course of action. Approximately calculate ago the facts is in, you be inflicted including to manually try out all the attributes you aspire to sight including the intention of did not contest their catalog of point attributes. If here are loads of sets of facts imported and loads of attributes you aspire displayed for all top, it is gradual inane in look into-owing to all persons boxes to sight the facts (couldn't they sight all by non-payment?). They also break down a comma into mathematical facts. So, for develop, all top has a time emotionally caught up to it. The box shows it as "Time: 1,949". Everlastingly, approximately calculate ago the facts is imported, to chat no matter what business in this vicinity it, you be inflicted including to bring up to date the datasheet and import it all ended ended again. If approximately addresses did not contest before to, you will be inflicted including to soubriquet persons errors all ended ended again, try out all the trade show facts boxes ended again, move the icon, etc. I fancy here were a way to bring up to date changes early the datasheet extremely than early early scrape.Loading old maps: S&T 2013 does not commence any S&T minutes early 2007 and before to. This was unexpected and owing to a hassle in loading old facts. What a fleeting calculate cycle to discontinue old draw collectively in a outline formats of the constant additional opportunity as presently! The release key is to reimport all points or download an old examination translation of 2008-2011 and chat all your minutes to 2013 vis-a-vis this form a junction including. I tried to pretend/paste points early 2007 to 2013; the item appears in the legend, but lacking points on the map.Icons: One mind I did not upgrade including 2007 was including the intention of the new icons for points were ugly and unavailable. As I be inflicted including numerous thousand points on my map, sweet fussy icons are not a clear. It has been lengthy, but by the "photograph cover" pin and MS Paint, I be inflicted including fake loads of of the old icons and imported them into the new describe. Including newer editions, even if, you can curve points on and off, which is a caring map. Even if, you be inflicted including to aptly click and excellent including the intention of choice, a bind as I am evenly rotary equipment off and on. ArcMap has the constant map in a tick box at that calculate to the legend item.Treatment: The mouse facial appearance be inflicted including stuck-up. No longer do you be inflicted including to excellent between a hand to pan the map and box to zoom in. The ex- surgical course of action is the gone mouse pin; the end is the aptly. In addendum, as you aptly click in the box owing to including the aptly mouse key, you can rub out all points in (or further than) including the intention of vicinity. As water supply, they be inflicted including modest a additional clever map including the intention of allows you to prohibit a hurl early roving owing to the boxed vicinity--caring as S&T desires to pocket you on a gated yield a bigwig their cards path in a inhabitant playground, for develop. Only try out out including the intention of vicinity for all journey.Boundary: A additional mind I did not upgrade early 2007 in anticipation of now was the boundary. The bestow has stuck-up early 2008-2011 editions, but soothe not as skilled as 2007 and former, which were as honest-forwards as I be inflicted including seen. It is all black and colorless now, clever as you be inflicted including the pad on in your car at night, but not so if not. I recognizable icons in 2007 by affect and affect. Only shapes get on to it harder to commit icon functions to memories. The facial appearance you can sight are top bolt from the blue to a cluster of four toolbars. I fancy I may maybe declutter all the 75% of icons I by no means use. They be inflicted including as a substitution for superfluous a few extra I do not call for, but cannot get rid of them in check over of the fact including the intention of I call for numerous in including the intention of toolbar. Extra flexibility at this calculate is greatly loved. The map describe itself is in the end unchanged. The map sight and machinate is the easiest I admit to look into, which is a foremost mind I use S&T ended additional programs.Legend: I deal including loads of categories of points. I be inflicted including longed for the cleverness to get on to to diplomacy the category item diplomacy. In 2007, I may maybe get almost the be deficient in of this map by dependability a affront first name chat to a facts set, and at that calculate it would bump it to the top of the catalog (everywhere I may maybe at that calculate chat the first name in trade to the first). So, I altered the names of the facts sets by diplomacy in which I sought after them. This "map" has been indifferent, and I can discover no way to diplomacy the catalog of icons fleeting of importing/creating them in the diplomacy you aspire.Map facts: I am distinguished and mighty it is as simplified as their facts fund can get. In addendum, I do not admit as it happened between 2007 and 2013, but here are greatly extra fussy path maps in Mexico. In addendum, I be inflicted including had harms including extraordinary in rank agreed in rural areas of southern Ontario, and these look to be inflicted including ceased. inner-city areas in countries further than USA and Canada are also now indicated including a affect vicinity, not only a dot as in former editions.This curriculum is soothe helpful, primarily as a in tears be fond of ArcGIS is too complicated and costly for what I am dependability. Its limitations are a continual nuisance, even if, and the facial appearance I looking for are indeed not grand ample to earn a stuck-up deprivation for a curriculum be fond of this.
- Cory

I'm extremely disappointed including Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013. I be inflicted including the 2010 journal and I love it. I irrevocably resolute to upgrade for the new data base. I scan the reviews and be inflicted including to agree including them. Microsoft took a BIG step backwards on this journal. If you initiation the two programs side by side, you would swear the 2013 journal is the older one. It looks like programing 101. Everywhere are the insignia? Blah!! It looks so mundane. I knew this from reading the additional reviews and I only purchased the 2013 journal since of the low price. I plan on using my 2010 journal unless I be inflicted including a problem looking up a new address.Microsoft, you REALLY blew this!!!!
- R. Morgan

This translation is just as buggy as the last - not easy to steer, habitual unmappable addresses, very delicate/tempermental - notch a diversity of pop ups & notifications when you click no matter what thing. Ugly outdated graphics, icons, and maps, tons of obtuse tourist attractions and disgusting greasy spoon restaurants gunking up your view/the ease of appreciative of the software.Best part? You can never open any files bent with before versions. And the pink on the cupcake? You cannot save files and share them with broadcast who use before versions of S&T.Sorry, Microsoft, but my full personnel will NOT be upgrading to 2013, I will be requesting my money back, and I will now need to order the before translation off ebay or some shady 3rd party vendor. And 1GB of ram for this software?!?! It's not even a real aerial! It looks like it was calculated for geocities in 1994! I mean, I don't care since I'm a designer with a 16gb RAM pad, but I can effectively run the full adobe creative suite lacking using that much!!
- heather

What is the SAVE option for. If next years version can not read this year why disturb saving those 3000 mile trips you make with your Dad to redo with your kids?Microsoft, get rid of the SAVE option it is pointless.I started with S&T 2002, think it is downstairs somewhere. I usually buy each other year. Guess I need to buy 2011 and hope I take the 2009 files to 2011 then to 2013. Or just reenter the ones I need. How stupid is Microsoft for this pain in the aXX.The new S&T 2013 DOES NOT open my 2009 S&T files. I have been by the S&T product line since 2002. Each new version has read the old file but once upgraded to the new version the old version can not read the files. This is the initially time the new version 2013 can not read the old version. Luckily I kept 2009 when the installation program asked if I wanted to keep the old addendum.2013 looks like a waste of cash, unless you are ready to start fresh, with no use of your old maps.Ok, on the phone with Microsoft and they were very helpful. Microsoft will give me S&T 2011 as I registered 2013 so I can open my old 2009 files in 2011, then save them and then open them is 2013. I guess I will by no means be able to skip a Microsoft upgrade over again. I am not sure which old maps I need and which ones I do not so I guess i will just spend hours upon hours of upgrading from 2009 to 2013 via 2011.déjà vu Quicken does the same crap. I by no means upgraded because Quicken ver 8 works for me just fine, but it is getting harder and harder to run dos in windows 7 and still be able to print checks.=================NOTE - MICROSOFT TECH SUPPORT CAN NOT GET ANY OF MY 2009 MAPS INTO 2013. HOW STUPID IS THIS. ALL MY OLD NOTES AND MAPS MUST BE USED IN 2009. I AM DONE WITH STREETS & TRIPS=================
- Harry Samuel

While I be inflicted including been a lofty addict of Streets and Trips over the earlier cycle decade, Microsoft disastrous 64 piece users including a flawed DVD. The online emancipated trial download followed by an initiation facility.**************The refund to by software versus ad-supported online maps are many. In fastidious, the user has extra hegemony over how the in rank is displayed. Moreover, maps can be saved and annotated. So far, including Google Maps being compensated best by the calculate, Microsoft has really consent to its user dishonest not working.Normal users of Google Maps reflect it over that it provides pouring, broadcast transportation, on foot and bicycling in rank. Streets and Trips 2013 *soothe* only has pouring in rank. What Microsoft desires to do is offer extra refined genuine-calculate facts inputs such as persons early broadcast transit and conveying congestion sources. It surprises me that Microsoft has not owing to a better investment in this software. The manufactured goods is not greatly uncommon early the before six versions. It is especially grating as users had to wait so lingering pro the nonexistent 2012 translation to recommend itself made known only to at this calculate not anything early Microsoft until the 2013 was unhindered July 2012.Flush including the be deficient in of investment, the refund of standalone conspire software warrant purchasing Streets and Trips 2013. Though, agreed the potential of online alternatives, users may discover themselves by in cooperation Google Maps and Streets and Trips 2013.ProsAbility to annotation on and keep mapsRapid pan and zoomNo Internet door requirePowerful quest close locationsNo advertisementsConsNo bicycle, on foot or broadcast transit directionsLittle connectivity including third-have fun facts sourcesNo trafficProblems installing early DVD pro 64 Piece users
- P. Scott Pope "Scott Pope"

MS Streets and Trips 2013 will not commence any before map versions. I have searched all over and there is no help to exchange any maps that were created with before versions of MS Streets and Trips. What a waste of money. Why would MS erect software that would not be able to commence it's own file types.
- patty

I have used Microsoft Streets an Trips in view of the fact that version 1. My company is a Microsoft Partner; I am a Microsoft Certified Application Developer. So I know what I am doing with a computer. This time Microsoft has bent a product that can't open older S&T map versions. After S&T recognizes the need to upgrade a before map file, it displays the error: "Failed to open document." Other people are having this problem, but there is no help article from Microsoft. It is the year 2012, and by now Microsoft must be able to produce a consumer software product that just works. Besides that, there is no compelling feature in this version that warrants upgrading. Save your money.
- DSMohler

While on a trip I was having so much vex being paid sent to the ill-treat locations by an grown-up version, that I purchased and downloaded 2010 from the Microsoft Pile. Which proceed to lock up and become non-functional. I sought after to just reinstall it, but the sale wouldn't show up in my MS Pile tab. I called consumer benefit which attempted to solve the conundrum for 45 summary and eventually couldn't, but told me that if I called back they would upgrade me to 2013 for free. When we got home I called to get my free upgrade, but no go, I was outside the 30 day chat cycle. Even if, they would allocate me to pay for an upgrade for the same fee I had paid for 2010 (that's dual the fee). Dredge up Planes, Trains, and Automobiles? "You're screwed." I hate Microsoft. Oh, about the manufactured goods itself: it's the best for throughway journey and most terrible for urban. Very counteract intuitive controls, menus, and maps. Like many MS harvest it's calculated from the surrounded by out, i.e. from a programmer's perspective, not a user's. I'll be holding on to my five year old Garmin. Bring up to date: Even if not perfect, Google Maps and Google Steer are now my fundamental GPS software, sorry to say I don't think there's a notebook version of Steer.
- M. Atherton

Simplified from the 2009 translation. All just new and modified local roads/intersections have been simplified. (The most contemporary local road modification was done about 18 months ago.) The only other modification to the software that I see is that MS has changed the menu icons from multicolor and eye appealing to very flat, basic two-tone blank and white. This observably doesn't depression the functionality of the software but it just looks like a step backward.I also have a Tom-Tom which my wife and I use for short trips and to get information from point A to point B surrounded by the state. Local journey is what the Tom-Tom and Garmin units are calculated for. But where S&T beats the small units hands down is when schooling long distance trips. There are many congested areas of the broadcast I turn down to drive through (I-95 through the CT-NY-NJ area.) With S&T all I have to do is tell it to avoid this area by dragging the mouse over the map and the planned route is right away modified. S&T also beats the small units when manually re-routing a trip. All you have to do is click on the route and drag the route marker where you want to go. S&T also provides a much stuck-up by and large map view of your trip as you are driving (you can see your movement on the full trip very than just a split up mile ahead of you.) This is great with the kids/grandkids in the back seat surveillance the movement of the trip and seeing how far they have gone and how far they still have to go.The modest units have their place but my inclination for long distance journey schooling and GPS tracking is still with S&T. I was schooling to upgrade to the 2012 journal but had to wait for 2013. Again, no major software upgrades that I have seen (other than the maps and POIs), but for the price I don't think you can beat it. The upgrade was worth it for the maps alone.
- Amazon Customer


Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013

Find adventure on the open road with Microsoft Streets & Trips. With America's #1 journey and map software, explore new seats, breed maps and information and even add your own contacts - all lacking an Internet tie.





No comments:

Post a Comment